Donor Advised Funds
A donor advised fund (DAF) is a type of giving program that allows you to combine the most favorable tax benefits with the flexibility to support Forsyth easily. An increasingly popular charitable vehicle, DAFs are an excellent way to both simplify your charitable giving and facilitate your strategic philanthropic goals.
If you have a DAF, you can make a donation to Forsyth by contacting your DAF and making a request for payment. Or if your organization participates in the DAFDirect program by using the the DAFDirect form located to the right.
- Select the sponsoring organization from the "Donate now from:" field.
- Specify "Forsyth Institute" in the "Designation:" field.
- Enter the amount (in dollars) you would like to recommend in the "Amount:" field.
- Click on the "NEXT" button to proceed to the sponsoring organization's website to complete your donor advised fund transaction. Please note, you will be directed to an external website to complete your transaction.
If you are interesting in setting up a DAF:
- Establish your DAF by making an irrevocable, tax-deductible donation to a public charity that sponsors a DAF program
- Advise the investment allocation of the donated assets (any investment growth is tax-free)
- Recommend grants to qualified public charities of your choice
What are the main advantages of a DAF?
- Simplicity - The DAF sponsor handles all record-keeping, disbursements, and tax receipts.
- Flexibility - Timing of your tax deduction can be separate from your charitable decision making.
- Tax-efficiency- Contributions are tax-deductible and any investment growth in the DAF is tax-free. It is also easy to donate long term appreciated securities, eliminating capital gains taxes and allowing you to support multiple charities from one block of stock.
- Family legacy - A DAF is a powerful way to build or continue a tradition of family philanthropy.
- No start-up costs - There is no cost to establish a DAF. However, there are often minimum initial charitable contributions to establish the DAF (typically $5,000 or more).
- No transaction fees - Once approved, 100% of your recommended grant goes to your qualified public charity of choice.
- Privacy if desired- Donors may choose to be acknowledged or remain anonymous.
If you have any questions about contributing, or wish to talk with our Development Director Leah Hoover about your giving, a gift of appreciated securities or a planned gift, please call 617.892.8601 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.