Goals and Services
The Office of Technology Development supports The Forsyth Institute's mission through comprehensive management of its discoveries and innovations to maximize the benefit to Forsyth and to society.The Office encourages invention disclosures by Forsyth researchers and works to foster the development of such innovations with outside organizations that have funding and expertise to commercialize them.
The Goals of the Office of Technology Development include:
- Working with researchers to acquire the knowledge, expertise, and resources to navigate the complexities of protecting intellectual property and securing licensing arrangements that support the mission of Forsyth.
- Collaborating with researchers and industry to build and nurture partnerships that will move ideas from the lab to the marketplace.
- Developing commercialization strategies that benefit both Forsyth and its industry partners while maximizing benefit to the public and return on investment.
- Negotiating with industry partners for the best possible license terms and managing agreements to ensure that licensees comply with their terms and obligations.
Services Performed by the Office of Technology Development:
- Educate Forsyth researchers about intellectual property and technology transfer.
- Evaluate research disclosures for development potential, patentability, marketability and commercial viability.
- Protect intellectual property and oversee the process used (e.g., patent, copyright).
- Negotiate license arrangements for Forsyth’s intellectual property.
- Monitor existing licenses for compliance with terms including financial terms.
- Collect and distribute all funds associated with licenses according to Forsyth’s policies.
- Ensure compliance with Federal or research sponsor guidelines for intellectual property.
- Administer the transfer (in or out) of research materials, including negotiation and management of material transfer agreements.
- Facilitate the development of start-up companies based of Forsyth’s intellectual property.