The Office of Technology
Development supports The Forsyth Institute’s mission through comprehensive
management of its discoveries and innovations to maximize the benefit to
Forsyth and to society. The Office encourages invention disclosures by Forsyth
researchers and works to foster the development of such innovations with
outside organizations that have funding and expertise to commercialize them.
The goals of the Office of Technology Development include:
- Working with researchers to acquire the knowledge, expertise,
and resources to navigate the complexities of protecting intellectual property
and securing licensing arrangements that support the mission of Forsyth.
- Collaborating with researchers and industry to build and nurture
partnerships that will move ideas from the lab to the marketplace.
- Developing commercialization strategies that benefit both
Forsyth and its industry partners while maximizing benefit to the public and
return on investment.
- Negotiating with industry partners for the best possible license
terms and managing agreements to ensure that licensees comply with their terms
Services performed by the Office of Technology Development:
- Educate Forsyth researchers about intellectual property and
- Evaluate research disclosures for development potential,
patentability, marketability and commercial viability.
- Protect intellectual property and oversee the process used
(e.g., patent, copyright).
- Negotiate license arrangements for Forsyth’s intellectual
- Monitor existing licenses for compliance with terms including
- Collect and distribute all funds associated with licenses
according to Forsyth’s policies.
- Ensure compliance with Federal or research sponsor guidelines
for intellectual property.
- Administer the transfer (in or out) of research materials,
including negotiation and management of material transfer agreements.
- Facilitate the development of start-up companies based of
Forsyth’s intellectual property.